We have 7 days left before the draft and things are heating up with teams talking about moving up or down and prospects are rising and falling at a rapid pace in some cases. I will have my final mock up before the draft on Thursday.
1. Houston Texans = Jadeveon Clowney DE South Carolina
This is right now a simple case of where the Texans will pick not who they will pick but I think if they are staying at #1 then I think they pull the trigger on Clowney. I’ve been predicting Blake Bortles for a while now mainly due to all the connections he has to their coaching staff but it seems that Owner Bob McNair wants to go with the name value of either a Johnny Manziel or Clowney. If the Texans trade out say with the Atlanta Falcons then Clowney will be the pick and the Texans slide to #6 where they could take Bortles or Manziel if he is still available.
2. St. Louis Rams (through Washington) = Greg Robinson OT Auburn
If the Falcons don’t trade up to #1 then I think there is a significant chance they will trade up to this pick which will be fairly easy to do considering the relationship between GM’s Thomas Dimitroff & Les Snead plus it won’t cost as much for the Falcons to move into this pick. Robinson will be the pick I think if the Rams stay here as they definitely need help on their offensive front to help keep Sam Bradford healthy.
3. Jacksonville Jaguars = Sammy Watkins WR Clemson
I think the only way the Jags take a QB in the 1st round is if they either trade down from this pick or trade back up into the 1st from the 2nd so if that is the case then they will go with either Sammy Watkins or Mack here and I have had Mack linked to them a lot lately but the rumblings from the Duval seem to be if Clowney/Robinson goes ahead of them then they would go with the playmaker. If the Jags move down though don’t be shocked if they don’t jump on Blake Bortles.
4. Cleveland Browns = Khalil Mack OLB Buffalo
All the QB’s are available here but I think the Browns will roll the dice on the fact that the QB they want whoever it is will be around when they pick again at #26 or at a reasonable enough position for them to trade up. New HC Mike Pettine in his heart of hearts doesn’t want to go QB here and would love to add a player like Mack to his rebuilt defense.
5. Oakland Raiders = Mike Evans WR Texas A&M
The Raiders are quite the enigma here because they could go in so many directions whether it’s a QB, OT, WR, or whatever and Reggie McKenzie is a tough GM to project because he has his own way of doing things. Oakland likes all the QB’s and they could easily go that route here but Oakland is currently trending towards taking a QB later in the draft because they seem pretty content with Matt Schaub/Matt McGloin as the top 2. Evans is the big mover right now among the draft boards and there are rumors going around that the 49ers may make a big move up to get him in this area.
6. Atlanta Falcons = Taylor Lewan OT Michigan
If the Falcons stay here they will definitely take an offensive lineman and I think if the Rams trade down to this pick then they will take an offensive lineman as well. The Falcons are in a great spot here as all of their needs could be met either direction they go.
7. Tampa Bay Bucs = Johnny Manziel QB Texas A&M
The most interesting man in this year’s NFL Draft and a polarizing figure in general is Manziel but he is a great talent with tremendous upside especially if he goes to the right system. It just so happens that Tampa now has Jeff Tedford as their OC and he values more mobile QB’s who can play action and throw on the run which Manziel can do in spades. Lovie Smith has gone on record praising Manziel which could easily be a smoke screen but the more and more the draft nears and even though they brought in Josh McCown as well as the returning Mike Glennon, I think Tampa in this scenario would take the QB here instead of waiting.
8. Minnesota Vikings = Blake Bortles QB Central Florida
Minnesota has two big needs to address right now in QB and OLB and they could just as easily go with Anthony Barr here but I think with Norv Turner coming in as the OC, Bortles or any of the other top QB’s would enamor him. I fully believe that new HC Mike Zimmer would love to pick another position but the fact that Bortles is still here and Norv in his ear they will go with the QB.
9. Buffalo Bills = Jake Matthews OT Texas A&M
Buffalo wants to trade up in the worst way to get either Clowney or Watkins so this pick is definitely on the shopping block but Matthews is somebody they definitely like and he fills possibly their biggest need.
10. Detroit Lions = Eric Ebron TE North Carolina
The Lions have been rumored lately to be infatuated with Sammy Watkins and they along with Buffalo have been rumored to be salivating at the chance to move up into the top 5. If the Lions stand pat here then I think they will take Ebron even with Brandon Pettigrew on their roster because Ebron is a Jimmy Graham type who could lineup on the outside just as easily as on the line.
11. Tennessee Titans = Anthony Barr OLB UCLA
The Titans have two top needs right now and they are edge pass rusher and running back and the days of taking a running back this high are extinct. Barr is very raw and he reminds me a lot of Barkevious Mingo who new DC Ray Horton coached last year in Cleveland. Titans are a definite wild card here though as they could go with various people.
12. New York Giants = Zack Martin OT Notre Dame
Word on the street is that the Giants are very high on Martin and have him rated higher than Taylor Lewan & Jake Matthews so if he is there when they pick then it shouldn’t take very long to pull the trigger.
13. St. Louis Rams = Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma State
The Rams need help in the secondary and like the Lions ahead of them they could go any direction here so I’m slotting Gilbert here who they definitely have interest in especially after letting Courtland Finnegan walk in free agency.
14. Chicago Bears = Aaron Donald DT Pittsburgh
Henry Melton just signed with Dallas on Monday and the Bears definitely need to find a replacement which Donald who has risen up the draft boards the last month would make perfect sense here. This could be the most automatic pick in the draft.
15. Pittsburgh Steelers = Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
It seems like the CB position has been a glaring need for the Steelers for the last 10 years and while they have had decent play at the position they haven’t had that lockdown type of player in the position. Dennard definitely has that quality and would be a great addition to their rebuilding defense.
16. Dallas Cowboys = Ryan Shazier OLB Ohio State
Shazier is the best pure 4-3 OLB in this draft and with the Cowboys going with Rod Marinelli as their new DC and keeping the Monte Kiffin ways of doing business on the field, Shazier would be a solid addition to a defense that was downright horrible last season.
17. Baltimore Ravens = Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix FS Alabama
This feels like such a natural pick here with the Ozzie Newsome connection to Alabama, Ozzie’s love for taking the best player available, and the fact that the Ravens need a new Ed Reed which Ha-Ha has the potential of being that type of player.
18. New York Jets = Odell Beckham Jr. WR LSU
Sure the Jets signed Eric Decker but they still have a huge need at this position and Beckham is making a move up the boards to become the #3 receiver in the draft. The Jets also like Marqise Lee, Brandin Cooks, & Kelvin Benjamin so they have the pick of the litter.
19. Miami Dolphins = Marqise Lee WR USC
There are rumors floating out of Miami that Mike Wallace has rubbed HC Joe Philbin the wrong way lately and considering the injuries they had in their receiving corps last year, adding a weapon like Lee would give Ryan Tannehill another big time option.
20. Arizona Cardinals = Ra’Shede Hageman DT Minnesota
The Cardinals are another 1st round wildcard here as they don’t have a real glaring need and could easily take a QB here to be the heir apparant to Carson Palmer but they really like Hageman and he would be a solid addition to their front seven.
21. Green Bay Packers = Calvin Pryor SS Louisville
Green Bay needs help across their defense and would love to add a playmaker to the back end of their defense so they would be ecstatic if Pryor fell down to them because he could easily go higher in the round.
22. Philadelphia Eagles = Brandin Cooks WR Oregon State
Philly dumped DeSean Jackson so they desperately need to add a playmaker to their receiving corps and Cooks would be great value for this position not to mention his playmaking skills. Chip Kelly knows Cooks well also from his days of coaching against him in the Civil War series at Oregon.
23. Kansas City Chiefs = Louis Nix DT Notre Dame
This may be the ultimate wildcard pick in the draft as I think that HC Andy Reid and the Chiefs brass would love to move out of this pick for a team that would want to trade back into the 1st round to get a QB especially ahead of Cleveland. I’m slotting Nix here because he is the type of defensive lineman that Andy likes but ultimately I see this pick being moved.
24. Cincinnati Bengals = Kyle Fuller CB Virginia Tech
Cincy’s two biggest needs right now are pass rushers and cornerbacks and they have some options here so they could go with a few guys. Bradley Roby seemed like the logical pick before his legal issue last week and with the Bengals past with those issues they may want to steer clear of him. Dee Ford is definitely someone who is in play also.
25. San Diego Chargers = Bradley Roby CB Ohio State
Shareece Wright is the only cornerback on their roster that has started a game in the NFL so the Chargers definitely need to find someone who can step in and become an impact player for them. The Chargers are also interested in Jason Verrett as well so if Roby is gone by their pick then I can easily see him here.
26. Cleveland Browns (through Indianapolis) = Derek Carr QB Fresno State
The Browns get the QB they want here in Carr as there has been a lot of buzz that they prefer Carr over any of the other QB’s in the draft. They may have to move up for him though because Carr is becoming a hot name.
27. New Orleans Saints = C.J. Mosley ILB Alabama
This is a simple case of the best player available as I have Mosley in my Top 10 but the scuttlebutt is he will fall on draft day and with the Saints looking to add more firepower to their defense, Mosley would be a great compliment to Curtis Lofton at this position.
28. Carolina Panthers = Joel Bitonio OT Nevada
Jordan Gross has retired and the Panthers need a new anchor for their offensive line to help Cam Newton off the injured reserve list and there is talk that HC Ron Rivera is smitten with Bitonio so the odds of him going here are pretty high.
29. New England Patriots = Teddy Bridgewater QB Louisville
Finally here is where Teddy falls and the Patriots who gave on record saying that they are drafting this year to fill out depth and not going for obvious needs. Teddy is the best player available on the board and has already visited with the Pats so with the uncertainty of Ryan Mallett who is a free agent after the season, a heir apparant to Tom Brady would be needed. This also could be a definite trade spot also as the Pats always are interested in moving out of the 1st round.
30. San Francisco 49ers = Demarcus Lawrence OLB Boise State
The Niners want to move up but if they stay here then I think they will address their defense and with the legal issues surrounding Aldon Smith adding another pass rusher would be important.
31. Denver Broncos = Xavier Su’a-Filo OG UCLA
Zane Beadles left for Jacksonville in free agency so there is a hole in the inside of Denver’s offensive line and Xavier would be a solid addition to the list of Peyton Manning’s bodyguards.
32. Seattle Seahawks = Scott Crichton DE oregon State
Seattle loves their pass rushers and Crichton is a local guy who could easily fit their system so this is a pick that makes sense. Pete Carroll & John Schneider have their own way of doing things so they could go with just about anyone.
33. Houston Texans = Jason Verrett CB TCU
34. Washington Redskins = Morgan Moses OT Virginia
35. Cleveland Browns = Dominique Easley DE Florida
36. Oakland Raiders = Weston Richburg OC Colorado State
37. Atlanta Falcons = Dee Ford DE Auburn
38. Tampa Bay Bucs = Donte Moncrief WR Ole Miss
39. Jacksonville Jaguars = Jimmy Garoppolo QB Eastern Illinois
40. Minnesota Vikings = Jimmie Ward SS Northern Illinois
41. Buffalo Bills = Austin Seferian-Jenkins TE Washington
42. Tennessee Titans = Timmy Jernigan DT Florida State
43. New York Giants = Jace Amaro TE Texas Tech
44. St. Louis Rams = Kelvin Benjamin WR Florida State
45. Detroit Lions = Kyle Van Noy LB BYU
46. Pittsburgh Steelers = Allen Robinson WR Penn State
47. Dallas Cowboys = Kony Ealy DE Missouri
48. Baltimore Ravens = Carlos Hyde HB Ohio State
49. New York Jets = Lamarcus Joyner CB Florida State
50. Miami Dolphins = Cyrus Koundjio OT Alabama
51. Chicago Bears = Terrence Brooks FS Florida State
52. Arizona Cardinals = Tre’ Mason HB Auburn
53. Green Bay Packers = Trent Murphy OLB Stanford
54. Philadelphia Eagles = Jeremiah Attaochu OLB Georgia Tech
55. Cincinnati Bengals = Jeremy Hill HB LSU
56. San Francisco 49ers (through Kansas City) = Martavis Bryant WR Clemson
57. San Diego Chargers = Cody Latimer WR Indiana
58. New Orleans Saints = Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
59. Indianapolis Colts = Marcus Smith DE Louisville
60. Carolina Panthers = Davante Adams WR Fresno State
61. San Francisco 49ers = Stanley Jean-Baptiste CB Nebraska
62. New England Patriots = Troy Niklas TE Notre Dame
63. Denver Broncos = Deone Bucannon SS Washington State
64. Seattle Seahawks = David Yankey OG Stanford
65. Houston Texans = Antonio Richardson OT Tennessee
66. Washington Redskins = Keith McGill CB Utah
67. Oakland Raiders = Zach Mettenberger QB LSU
68. Atlanta Falcons = Carl Bradford ILB Arizona State
69. Tampa Bay Bucs = Cyril Richardson OG Baylor
70. Jacksonville Jaguars = Stephon Tuitt DE Notre Dame
71. Cleveland Browns = Jack Mewhort OT Ohio State
72. Minnesota Vikings = Kareem Martin DE North Carolina
73. Buffalo Bills = Bashaud Breeland CB Clemson
74. New York Giants = Paul Richardson WR Colorado
75. St. Louis Rams = Tom Savage QB Pittsburgh
76. Detroit Lions = Marcus Robertson CB Florida
77. San Francisco 49ers (through Tennessee) = C.J. Fiedorowicz TE Iowa
78. Dallas Cowboys = Bishop Sankey HB Washington
79. Baltimore Ravens = A.J. McCarron QB Alabama
80. New York Jets = Jarvis Landry WR LSU
81. Miami Dolphins = Caraun Reid DT Princeton
82. Chicago Bears = Will Sutton DE Arizona State
83. Cleveland Browns = Robert Herron WR Wyoming
84. Arizona Cardinals = Bruce Ellington WR South Carolina
85. Green Bay Packers = Kelcy Quarles DT South Carolina
86. Philadelphia Eagles = Telvin Smith OLB Florida State
87. Kansas City Chiefs = Chris Smith DE Arkansas
88. Cincinnati Bengals = Cameron Fleming OT Stanford
89. San Diego Chargers = Adrian Hubbard OLB Alabama
90. Indianapolis Colts = Jackson Jeffcoat OLB Texas
91. New Orleans Saints = Gabe Jackson OG Mississippi State
92. Carolina Panthers = Pierre Desir CB Lindenwood
93. New England Patriots = Jordan Tripp OLB Montana
94. San Francisco 49ers = Charles Sims HB West Virginia
95. Denver Broncos = DaQuan Jones DT Penn State
96. Seattle Seahawks = Ja’Wuan James OT Tennessee
97. Pittsburgh Steelers = Ka’Deem Carey HB Arizona
98. Green Bay Packers = Jaylen Watkins CB Florida
99. Baltimore Ravens = Chris Borland ILB Wisconsin
100. San Francisco 49ers = Loucheiz Purifoy CB Florida